- Written by PAUL ASTHOR D. YECYEC
Geologists of the Geosciences Division (GSD) of Mines and Geosciences Bureau Regional Office No. IX attended a five-day training on georesistivity survey and data interpretation as part of the groundwater resources assessment program on Sept. 25-29, 2017 at MGB-IX Office, Zamboanga City. Two technical personnel from MGB-01, Socrates Gaerlan, Supervising Geologist assisted by Randy Apilado gave a hands-on training on the use of the georesistivity equipment on the field and interpretation of the acquired field data.The training is consists of lecture and fieldwork component to demonstrate the instrumentation process and enhance the technical capacity of geosciences personnel in conducting a georesistivity survey. The two-day field activity and actual georesistivity survey was piloted in Brgy. Mercedes and within the property of Zamboanga City Economic Zone, in Brgy. San Ramon.
- Written by Darryl Mae M. Gerodiaz
As part of the continuing activities under the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) Program of the Office of the Civil Defense – Regional Office IX (OCD-IX) and in accordance to “All of Society Inclusive Approach in DRRM”, the Mines and Geosciences Bureau – Regional Office IX (MGB-IX) participated in the 2-Day Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) Training for Indigenous Peoples (IPs)/NCIP in Zamboanga City at Lantaka Hotel by the Sea on September 7-8, 2017.
- Written by Super User
The Geosciences Division (GD) shall undertake land and marine geoscientific surveys, including mineral exploration, geological mapping, geohazard assessment, groundwater resource exploration and vulnerability assessment, and engineering geological and geo-environmental studies; and provide geological laboratory and information services.
It shall have the following section:
General and Economic Geology Section
- Conducts geological mapping, and other specialized studies involving stratigraphy, structural geology and tectonics, and geomorphology, and among others;
- Conducts mineral exploration, including characterization and modelling of mineral deposits;
- Undertakes the evaluation of proposed mineral reservation;
- Conducts validation and inventory of mineral resource
- Assists in the evaluation of mining tenements in relation to mineral exploration;
- Conducts Information, Education and Communication campaigns on geosciences, including geology, geohazard, rocks and mineral deposits, hydrology, among others.
Hydrogeology and Environmental Geology Section
- Conducts hydrogeological exploration and vulnerability assessment; and
- Conducts geo-environmental studies, including assessment of possible solid waste disposal sites and studies on climate change and other environmental impacts, among others.
Geohazard and Engineering Geology Section
- Conducts geohazard and risk assessment, including hazard modelling, and engineering geological studies;
- Conducts relocation/resettlement and evacuation site assessment in support to disaster risk reduction and management programs; and
- Undertakes geological scoping and review of engineering geological and geohazard assessment reports.
Geological Laboratory Services Section
- Provides services on geological laboratory analysis of minerals/ores, rocks, soil, sediments, fossils, water and other types of samples.