The Mines and Geosciences Bureau celebrated its 119th Year Anniversary on November 28, 2017. To commemorate this milestone, MGB-IX invited Rev. Fr. Marsh Villagracia to celebrate the Holy Eucharist as a thanksgiving. A short program honoring employees that has been with the regional bureau for more than two decades was then followed with a sumptuous lunch shared among the employees.

The Mines and Geosciences Bureau dates back during the Spanish regime, known as the "Inspeccion General de Minas." It took charge of the administration and disposition of minerals and mineral lands but was abolished on July 1, 1886 although its functions and personnel were merged with the General Directorate of Civil Administration.

Under the Philippine Revolutionary Republic, the Departamento de Fomento, translated as Department of Public Welfare was created by virtue of the decree signed by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo on November 28, 1898 thus on November 29, 1898, the President signed a decree creating the four (4) divisions of Departamento de Fomento and one of these divisions was the Industry and Agriculture Division. The Mines Section and the Mountains Sections were also formed, wherein the former was under the director of Industry and Agriculture, and latter was under the director of Publicas.

Meantime, MGB-IX was established in April 11, 1978, by virtue of Mines Administrative Order No. MRD-22, Series of 1977, signed by then Minister of Natural Resources, Jose J. Leido, upon the recommendation of the Director of Mines, Juanito C. Fernandez, wherein Mineral District Office No. 4 was created, comprising the provinces of Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi and the cities of Zamboanga, Dipolog, Dapitan, Pagadian and Basilan.

The MGB-IX Regional Office is presently located at the former DENR-IX Regional Office in Pasonanca Park, Pasonanca, Zamboanga City headed by its OIC, Regional Director, Engr. Alfredo T. Relampagos.